So at 6:45 this morning, we checked in at Same Day Surgery at Primary Children's for Jackson to have a little surgery. He was born with what is called a congenital nevis (kind of like a big mole) on his upper thigh. It was large and very dark, and we were advised to have it removed as soon as possible because it could eventually become cancerous. Jackson did so much better than expected, and though it was so incredibly scary for me, I'm just grateful to have a healthy baby whose surgery was only preventative and cosmetic.
One thing I wasn't prepared for was how many pictures we ended up taking! Who knew we'd feel like documenting this day!? I didn't bring a camera, so these are all from my phone. I need to get everyone else's pictures on here too. (Grandma and Grandpa Neider broke some rules to be with Jackson. Of Course :) ) The above picture is of Jackson in the initial exam having his oxygen level tested. He was so interested in everything. The nurse asked if we needed to give him a relaxant of some sort ahead of time so that when the anesthesiologist took him, he would be calm. I said "yes" and Dustin said "no" at the same time. Woops! So we did a little test where the nurse took him down the hall, and he was absolutely fine. Separation anxiety? Not my little man. 

One thing I wasn't prepared for was how many pictures we ended up taking! Who knew we'd feel like documenting this day!? I didn't bring a camera, so these are all from my phone. I need to get everyone else's pictures on here too. (Grandma and Grandpa Neider broke some rules to be with Jackson. Of Course :) ) The above picture is of Jackson in the initial exam having his oxygen level tested. He was so interested in everything. The nurse asked if we needed to give him a relaxant of some sort ahead of time so that when the anesthesiologist took him, he would be calm. I said "yes" and Dustin said "no" at the same time. Woops! So we did a little test where the nurse took him down the hall, and he was absolutely fine. Separation anxiety? Not my little man. 

I'm sorry to say this somehow, but we thought his hospital pjs were SO DANG CUTE! It felt wrong to be taking pictures at a time and place like this, but... LOOK!
The procedure took about an hour, and about 85% of the mole was removed. We will have another surgery in December. I've NEVER felt as heartbroken as I did when they let me back (just me at that point) to see him in Post Op. He was sad, drugged, and just pathetic-looking. It took quite a while to calm him down.
By the time we left a little more than an hour after first seeing him, he was acting more like his normal self, which made me feel so much better. Now we are keeping up with his pain meds and antibiotics, but should see our normal guy here pretty soon.
2 comments:
Sorry about the surgery.... But ohh my gosh he is adorable. WE NEED A PLAYDATE!
I'm so glad everything went well. Thanks for posting the info and cute pictures. The hospital pj's are so cute.
Post a Comment