Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Basement

Our latest project is our basement. Right now our 2nd upstairs bedroom acts as an office and a catch-all for everything we don't have a spot for. Once the basement is finished, there will be a 3rd bedroom (sort of) that will have a desk so that I can work from home sometimes and Dustin can do homework. We also want to put our TV down there and a pull-out couch for guests. Then there is a laundry room, a 2nd bathroom, and a storage closet. This is going to help us out SO much, and space that was totally wasted before will add 50% to the square footage of the house! It has low ceilings, so if you're tall, consider this a warning. Dustin has done everything himself so far, except for a few hours when an electrician/plumber basically checked Dustin's work and did some finishing up.

Here are some sneak peaks of our future bathroom that I am drooling over right now.

Remember this claw foot tub that came with our 1916 house?

Now imagine that same tub looking like this:

Flooring: Black and White Hexagonal Tile


Vanity: Still up in the air. I found this one at Costco, and can't stop thinking about it. It's a little expensive, but when I compared costs with Home Depot, it wasn't far off, especially considering the Carrera Marble counter it comes with. (I found one very similar on Restoration Hardware's site that is more than TWICE the cost). Carrera Marble and Hexagonal tile will be period-appropriate and really neat.
Here is another sink that I've seen in similar bathrooms. Definately a different look, and I'm not sure what I think about it. Also, I'm considering doing beadboard 2/3 of the way up the wall. Thoughts?

No comments: